Every St. Patrick’s Day gives me the opportunity to share my love of green with the world, and today is no exception! Kermit the Frog famously once said “It’s not easy being green”. While that may be true for amphibians, it is definitely not the case in decorating. In fact, in my humble opinion, there is no easier color to work with. You only have to look out your window to see how beautifully green lives along side every other color in nature.
Adding a little dose of green can make any room feel fresher and more alive. Here are just a few ideas to get you started:
- Paint – There are so many beautiful shades of green, you are sure to find one that works in your space. There are warm shades, more on the yellow side, cool shades, more on the blue side, and neutral shades right in the middle. Think about the mood you are trying to convey in your room. Warm, bright shades are more active and lively, while cool, muted shades promote a more serene, relaxing environment.
2. Accent Color – If you’re not willing to paint an entire room, or even a wall, try using green as just an accent color. In this case, green was used to paint the inside of this bookcase and as trim on the drawers.
3. Plants – A grouping of plants in a lonely corner always works and plants NEVER go out of style.
4. Upholstery – Don’t be afraid to use green as upholstery. Just like any neutral color, like white, brown or black, it really does work with every color imaginable.
5. Nature – It is amazing how just some simple greenery from the yard can add so much vibrancy to a room. Of all the ways to add green, this is by far the easiest. I challenge you, for St. Patrick’s Day, to do this one thing. Go into your backyard, find something green to cut and put it in a vase. Take a picture of your masterpiece and share it on Instragram with the hashtag #lynnelovesgreen. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
May the luck of the Irish be with you today and everyday!